Sat, Oct 01|
Live Zoom Meeting
Level 1, Course 1 of SAT & ACT Vocab Prep
Why should vocab be boring? Join us for challenges, games, discussions, and more!
Time & Location
Oct 01, 2022, 1:00 PM CDT – Oct 22, 2022, 1:55 PM CDT
Live Zoom Meeting
About the event
Vocabulary can be a daunting hurdle for SAT and ACT test takers. In this Level 1 class, we will learn a new set of advanced vocabulary words each week in an interactive environment! Why should vocab be boring? Join us for challenges, games, discussions, and more!
Class Experience The purpose of this class is to get the students to interact with the words in a way that will help to cement the meaning in their minds. By interacting with the words in multiple ways, this is far more likely to happen! In this live class, we will deeply explore 9 SAT/ACT vocabulary words per class through an interactive Lumio presentation that will host:
- anonymous live polls/check-ins via Lumio to establish prior knowledge of terms and definitions
- class-wide discussions over material
- exemplar graphics and photographs to connect to the term visually
- a brief etymology (word history) for the term to establish connections between related words
- teacher-created example sentences to see how to use the word correctly in the real world
- a chance for students to apply their new knowledge to create their own example sentences using the new word
- a sorting game for each vocab term's synonyms and antonyms
- an interactive class competition game for review at the end of class
In addition, learners will be provided with:
- a guided notes graphic organizer in your enrollment confirmation message that you can print week after week to organize the terms neatly in a binder for future study sessions
- "quick study" guide posted in the classroom at the end of class for those who weren't able to attend or want to double-check their own notes. (These are great to keep for future study sessions, as well!)
- a Quizlet Study Deck of the weekly words and definitions for students to study, play games, and further interact with the weekly words and definitions
- Want to see a preview of what these classes look like? Click play below to see a quick YouTube video walking you through the structure of my SAT/ACT vocabulary classes. The preview video is from Level 1, Set 4, and the other levels and sets will follow a similar structure.
- This is Level 1, and while it is suggested to take Level 1 before Level 2, it is not a requirement.
- Videos are encouraged to be on for this course to improve interaction and comprehension assessment, but are not required past the start-of-class check-in.
How to Take a New Horizons Academy Online Class:
- Purchase the number of enrollments needed (1 for 1 student, 2 for 2 students, etc.). (Please enroll each student that will be participating in and/or watching the class and using materials.)
- An email confirmation will be sent to the email address provided. In your confirmation email, you will find your class dates, times, and the join link for the Google Classroom that will be used for this section.
- Please click the Google Classroom link and join the classroom.
- Either a student's or parent's Google login/email is required to access the Google Classroom. If you do not have one, you can create one for free .
- When it is time for class, log in to your Google Classroom account (http://classroom.google.com) and there will be a “Join” button in the left hand sidebar of Google Classroom where you can join in the live video class. Please make sure you have the correct day and time.
- Your teacher will provide you with a Lumio join code either in the classroom post feed or in the Google Meet chat box. You’ll go to http://hellosmart.com and enter the code to join an interactive and engaging classroom full of knowledge (and fun games, too!).
- Class resources, including a student-paced lesson link for continuing work after class, assignments, etc., will be posted in the Google Classroom, and work can be submitted to your teacher here, too. They will then be able to offer feedback and grades (if grades are desired).
504 hours 55 minutes
October 2022Google Meet/Google Classroom
Class Admission - 1 Student
October 1, 8, 15, 22$12.00+$0.30 service fee